Who We Are
Established in 2012, the International Transgender Certification
Association is the FIRST Training Program created to specifically certify
Therapists and Professionals in their fields to work with the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Populations.
ITCA was founded by five influential women who, through their own work, recognized the lack of clinicians and specialists available to serve the Transgender Community. The focus of this Organization is to enlarge the existing network of service providers. ITCA’s mission is to offer the education, training, and certification needed for the delivery of professional, ethical and knowledgeable care.
A 2011 study by Gary Gates of the Williams Institute estimated that 0.3% of adults in the United States are transgender. In other words, 1 in every 333 people may need guidance or counseling at some time to address their gender dysphoria.
ITCA recognizes that every individual’s journey requires experienced professionals and para-professionals to facilitate decisions about life choices. Currently, there are too few therapists, physicians, and other healthcare providers who are knowledgeable about the Transgender Community and even less who are willing to treat them. It is for this reason that ITCA offers educational trainings and aims to diversify the network by creating resources needed to support a diverse population of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming individuals throughout the world.
- Focus on improving service delivery to transgender, transsexual and gender non-conforming communities by advancing the field of transgender health care.
- Ensuring quality care and services with education and certifying healthcare professionals and community providers.
- Maintaining consistent standards of care by providing a network of highly qualified experts in the field of transgender health.
With a very thorough curriculum, the International Transgender Certification Association is among the leading Transgender Educational Programs currently available. We are proud to be making a difference in breaking through the barriers and providing the much needed support to health care providers and professionals serving the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Communities.
- We acknowledge the contributions that professional staff and volunteers make to our success.
- We believe in the development, ongoing training, participation in the decision making process, and recognition of accomplishments.
- We uphold integrity and the highest ethical standards.
- We collaborate with our community partners to achieve our collective goals.
- We promote equality as a universal right.